This course has been designed for pharmacists starting out in critical care, usually with less than 6 months experience, or those in need of a refresher of the basics of critical care pharmacy practice. This is an ideal course for pharmacists who may be working full time in critical care, or who may provide adhoc cover to critically ill patients during times of surge, weekend cover or sickness.
The course will cover the basic principles of shock, fluid balance, analgesia and sedation in the critically ill patient. The content will also cover strategies to deal with medication and device shortages in times of surge, using tools to review patients, and the assessment of renal function.
At the end of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify the principles and causes of shock and the balance between perfusion and pressure
- Describe the basics of fluid balance and fluid choice in critical care
- Explain the data from a device analysing cardiac output, resistance and blood pressure
- Discuss pharmacological management and monitoring of analgesia in the critically ill and pharmacological management of sedation
- Systematically review the critical care patient to identify and resolve medicines related issues using FASTHUGS or similar
- Assess renal function in the critical care context, including acute kidney injury considerations for medicines management
In preparation for the event, we have designed some essential pre course resources for delegates. These will be provided shortly after registration. The tutors expect delegates to access these resources before the course, attend both the online sessions and actively participate in the case studies and discussions. Delegates will also be expected to review a case study before attending session 2.
The first session takes place on 05 January 2022, 16.00 – 18.00 hours.
The second session takes place on 09 January 2022, 16.00 – 18.00 hours.
All registered delegates will be sent the access link to the second session after completion of the first webinar.
The assessment will be by online multiple choice questions to successfully complete the course.
Record of completion:
Delegates will be awarded a certificate of completion upon satisfactorily completing both sessions and the online assessment.
To reserve your place on this course, please complete the online booking process here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/ukcpa-critical-care-foundation-online-learning-course-jan23-tickets-467440756887
Reservation for this course will close at noon on Thursday 29 December 2022.
Please note: Eventbrite booking fees apply. Please refer to link above.
If you are a non member wishing to apply for UKCPA membership in order to attend this course as part of your membership package, your membership application MUST be completed at least 7 days in advance of the start date of this course.
Should this course not reach its minimum number, the UKCPA reserves the right to postpone this event and offer registered delegates a place on an alternative course.