The UKCPA recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment that extends beyond legal and regulatory requirements. As such, we have recently undertaken a review of our current working practices in relation to sustainability and environmental impact.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and will continually improve our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operational methods. Our Environment Policy can be viewed here.
In support of this policy, we would like to outline in more detail how this policy affects the day to day activities of the UKCPA, and what further steps we plan to take.
What we already do
- Since November 2019 all our educational events are paper-free. We now provide all information to event delegates and sponsors electronically where practical.
- Our annual conference does not supply paper-based information or delegate bags, but instead uses an app for delegates to access information about the agenda, speakers and posters.
- The vast majority of our meetings are held via teleconference, reducing the impact of travel.
- When we do travel, we travel by public transport where possible.
- We choose our venues for meetings and educational events where public transport links are easily accessible.
- We have reduced our postal output by:
- Emailing payment receipts
- Emailing invoices wherever possible
- Providing our new members with an electronic welcome pack
- Providing reimbursement for expenses or speaker fees via bank transfer rather than posted cheques
- Utilising scanning software for exchange of contracts and agreements
- We encourage our employees to walk to work or use public transport.
- 100% of UKCPA office waste is used for energy as RDF (refuse derived fuel).
What we plan to do during the next 18 months
- We will investigate environmentally responsible banking companies and investment providers
- We will request our event venues consider the environmental impact when providing delegate accessories and catering requirements
- We will investigate the provision of environmentally friendly UKCPA promotional gift supplies
- We will ask the UKCPA office landlord to consider a separate waste collection for recycling paper and card
- Reduce, wherever possible, the need to print documents and introduce a cloud based shared system for all staff and committee members, both based in the office and who work remotely
- We will discourage the use of single use or singularly wrapped products (except where there is an allergy or risk to health). This includes paper and plastic catering or refreshment products in the UKCPA office and at meetings, ie by providing or requesting reusable cups, metal cutlery, jugged tap water, and sandwiches on platters.