This masterclass will focus on medicines management and drug safety concerns in the anaesthetic and theatres environment. Anaesthetics are an area using highly specialist and often high risk medicines in often vulnerable patients, and pharmacists are ideally placed to aid the anaesthetic team in providing optimised and safe drug therapy. This event will provide you with knowledge and concepts to help you confidently deliver medicines management to anaesthetics and theatres.
Topics covered will include:
- causes of anaesthetic drug errors and solutions to improve medicines safety in theatres
- change management in the theatre environment
- approaches to safe & secure medicines storage in the theatre department
- national guidance and safety alerts and the role pharmacists can take in implementing these in anaesthetics & theatres
- compare and contrast different medicines used for general anaesthesia, e.g. inhaled and injectable anaesthetics
There will be plenty of opportunity to network with other pharmacists working in anaesthetics & theatres, to exchange ideas and to share & discuss individual practice.
This event will be of particular benefit to pharmacists providing and developing services for anaesthetic & theatre departments or who are involved in medicines governance for anaesthetic areas.
The event is suitable for pharmacists with a specialist interest in anaesthetics as well as those who are working at advanced levels in other specialities but have an interest or work commitment in Anaesthetics & Theatres.
The aim of this day is to equip pharmacists with the skills and confidence to promote safe and efficient use of medicines and deliver high quality pharmacy services to anaesthetic and theatre departments.
At the end of this event, participants should be able to:
- Discuss error and safety theories; their application to medicines use; and how factors relating to patients, healthcare professionals, workplace design and the design of medication processes contribute to medication errors
- Outline relevant safety alerts and implement best practice in accordance with local policy
- Discuss identified pharmaceutical risks and identify methods of changing practice to reduce risk
- Discuss the pharmaceutical risks associated with the prescribing, supply, storage and administration of medicines in clinical area(s); and an ability to respond appropriately
- Explain the differences between the currently available inhaled anaesthetics and discuss influencing choice, including patient, environmental, cost and organisational factors
Peer discussion opportunities will be available at this event, which can also be used towards your CPD and portfolios. Advanced booking essential.
Attending this event will help you advance your professional practice and could be used as evidence in your RPS Faculty and GPhC revalidation portfolios. The day will cover Core Advanced and Specialist areas of knowledge.
This event has been financially supported by the pharmaceutical industry, including:
Note: The stand sponsors above have no input into the content of this masterclass. Other pharmaceutical companies have been approached to sponsor stand space at this event.
Promotional stands from these companies will be exhibited at this masterclass.