This full day event is aimed at all healthcare professionals who want to gain insight and skills in communicating with patients more effectively. It is particularly focused on understanding people living with persistent pain, although many of the themes will be pertinent to anyone working in long-term condition management, primary care practice, community pharmacy or where communication is key to improving patient outcomes.
The day will cover communicating with people about sensitive subjects and where there may be conflict or other communication challenges. Delegates will gain an understanding into holistic issues affecting people with pain and other long-term conditions and how to support their resolution in practice.
In addition, an expert practitioner will provide an introduction to motivational interviewing and its application in practice.
Download the event programme here.
- Pharmacists who see patients with persistent pain
- Pharmacists or other healthcare professionals who care for patients with long term conditions
- Pharmacists in primary care or community practice
- Healthcare professionals who work in areas where communication is key to improving patient outcomes
At the end of this masterclass, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of total pain and its holistic management
- Demonstrate understanding of the complex issues around pain and involvement of spiritual and/or psychological factors
- Provide individualised information in a professional manner
- Adjust communication appropriately to the individual
- Manage conflict appropriately
- Demonstrate awareness of patients with particular needs, such as disabilities, non-English speaking
- Use a structured approach to elicit information
- Prioritise the issues identified according to their importance
- Take appropriate action to resolve issues and ensure interventions are carried out in a timely manner
- Identify barriers to adherence
- Provide non-pharmacological advice on lifestyle management to support priority NHS targets, such as smoking cessation, reduction in alcohol intake, exercise etc.
- Describe the factors affecting communication between health professionals and people living with pain or other long-term conditions
- Discuss the basis of motivational interviewing and how it might be applied in practice
Attending this event will help you advance your professional practice and could be used as evidence in your RPS Faculty portfolio.
This event has been financially supported by the pharmaceutical industry, including:
Note: The stand sponsors above have no input into the content of this event. Promotional stands from these companies will be exhibited at this event. Other pharmaceutical companies have been invited to support this day.
Peer discussion opportunities will be available at this event, which can also be used towards your CPD and portfolios. Advanced booking essential.